Monday, November 06, 2006

Why I am the Mayor

Bartertown is a great city, blessed with natural beauty and extraordinary Sims. It's a place that I created to cultivate community and opportunity. But today, Bartertown is at a crossroads. No longer just a grassroots experiment or a small isolated island unto itself. Bartertown is now a SimNation capital and a major metropolitan cluster. Bartertown and it's residents impact the lives of Sims everywhere from neighboring Microcity and Haverill Redux, to far away Montville and even exotic Bali Hai. Bartertown is a great city. But it's not complete yet.

Still growing

I started this city with a dream and a few thousands Simoleons in my pocket. From that dream, I've built and cultivated a city that thrives and grows. By carefully organizing the zoning of where people live, work and play, Bartertown has expanded, both physically and culturally. I know that Sims need industry to support their liveliehood. That's why I've worked hard to attract corporations and factories to Bartertown.

Industrial Leader


Live Strong

In order for all Sims to have happy productive lives, Bartertown needs to grow healthy. After the earthquake of 2023, I immediately leaped into action with a reconstruction plan. Knowing that we had the OPPORTUNITY from the rebuild, I initiated the Bartertown 3000 plan. Coordinating with local experts from Academia, corporate pharmacueticals and research groups, Bartertown is poised to be a major medical center come year 3000.

Healthy Sims


I Believe the Children are our Future

I know that every enlightened SimCitizen has a role to play in helping to make Bartertown. I believe in the Sim Dream, and want to work to put it within reach of more people here in Bartertown.

This town has suffered some major losses in the last 120 years. Earthquakes, floods, and fires have ravaged the landscape. But I have always been able to build the city back, and better. The youth of Bartertown have been the ones who reap these benefits. There's no denying that Bartertown has become a major SimCity for Schools and universities. There are over 30 institutions of higher learning in Bartertown, and their students help keep this city fresh and young. We must cultivate that population: provide them with a safe outlet for the services and nightlife they crave, but also give them room for a healthy future. We cannot let our young and well educated future walk right out the door.

Academic Partnership


Hope, vision and hard work

My grandmother had a saying that fortified me: “Hope for the best – and work for it.”

I can still remember when I first created Bartertown. It wasn’t a robotics capital then. It wasn’t a major port city or academic megalopolis. It was just a blank batch of pixels ready for programming. Bartertown is not perfect. But it's what we make of it. It's what I made of it. I hoped for the best – and worked for it.

I learned how not to accept what is right in front of me, what someone else said were my limits. I learned how to imagine a better life and a better way. And I worked for it. Now that Bartertown's residents have matured into their home, my vision for Bartertown can only get brighter.

And that is why I am Mayor. Because my hope and vision for Bartertown are synonomous with the essence of what Bartertown is. I am it's past, it's present and it's future.


Thank you,
Mayor Ng

4 comments:

Max said...

I just realized that my plan to take Bartertown into the future is a 967 year plan. Well... here's to long range planning.

Sara said...

That's not that abnormal, most politician's plans seem to take a zillion years or never get done! Sometimes it just gives the people some hope, and makes them do more things for others. Maybe by creating the plan the people of Bartertown will take it on themselves to help bring their town into the future, maybe it'll happen faster than you think!

Ellie said...

The "promotional ads" within the Mayor's declaration are good. Very good. But I think he needs to take the opportunity to explain the reasons/logic to his Sims. In the screenshot with the "urban renewal campaign" message there are multiple block sizes (2x4, 2x2, 4x2, 4x1, etc.) ... why? And why not explain to the Sims the benefits of having mixed-use zones vs. single element zones?

Ellie said...

Maybe you should introduce Mayor Ng's twin brother - Town Planner Ng. Does he have to go up for re-election (and therefore answer his critics and defend his planning decisions)?