Sunday, September 17, 2006

Undeveloped zones

As I was reading most people's cross posts, I noticed that a few of you have the common theme of zoned areas not developing.

I had that problem too, and then realized that all the new zones need access to at least some road or else they have no way of getting there. I know this is just a computer simulation, but this also seems true to most red blooded Americans (and their need for gas guzzling cars). So while a utopian city (or Shangri-La as I call it) would probably only a fantastic T system, it really wouldn't be a functional city with out road.

How many of YOU have cars?

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Please post some zoom-in screenshots of the "undeveloped" areas so the audience can see/understand the context.

Sara said...

I see this problem too, but I don't agree with the roads.

One of my cities was doing very well, so i started to build in order to give the Sims more places to live, work and shop and they moved from the older areas to the newer areas and the older areas became under utilized. As I was building, I managed to use all of my funds and could no longer do anything to the city until I made some of my money back.

I let the city sit for a while until I made enough money to do some work and bulldozed all of my roads and rail lines so that I would not have to pay for any road repairs or anything like that.

Without any roads or any means of transportation, my city came alive again, and actually got back to where it was when it was flourishing.

Kerry said...

I'm not quite sure about the road access. I initially thought that access to roads would go through zones (like power access) as long as they were touching. But I noticed that zones no directly on the road grew less than the ones directly on them (w/ a couple of exceptions). But obviously since these zones grew some - it isn't necessary to provide direct access. So for the most part I left them alone. After all does every zone HAVE to have a high density. This is an opportunity to have distinction between zones that are right next to each other right in the thick of the city.